One of the best things about porcelain veneers is that they’re designed to last. You’ll find that you won’t need to do much to keep them in great shape. That said, some habits could hurt the longevity of your restorations or dull your stunning smile. Here are five things you should avoid if you have veneers:
- Consuming drinks and foods that stain: Unlike composite resin veneers, porcelain veneers have powerful stain-repelling properties. That means you won’t discolor them with your morning coffee habit or your evening glass of red wine. However, your natural teeth aren’t so resilient, and they may need to be whitened to keep matching your veneers.
- Biting hard objects: Veneers hold up very well against daily wear and tear. Yet they aren’t impervious to damage. You could chip one of these thin shells if you decide to chew on ice, pencils, or hard food.
- Grinding and clenching: Many people grind their teeth at night and clench their jaws when they feel stressed. Unfortunately, these behaviors can put a lot of pressure on dental veneers. Talk to our dentist to see if you may need to wear a nightguard as a protective measure.
- Smoking: Not only can smoking discolor your smile, but the habit can also affect the material used to bond dental veneers to your natural teeth. It can stain the composite and give the edges of your teeth a brown or yellow tint. It may even weaken the bonding material, thereby setting the stage for one or more of your veneers to come off.
- Neglecting your oral health: Your veneers are only as good as the teeth that support them. Issues such as decay and infection will shorten the lifespan of your dental restorations. Keep your smile in good health with daily brushing and flossing, and remember to schedule regular visits to our dental practice.
Schedule a Porcelain Veneers Consultation in Las Vegas
Getting porcelain veneers is almost as easy as taking care of them. Are you ready to improve your smile with this popular cosmetic dentistry service?
Call 702-737-3553 to schedule a porcelain veneers consultation with LVI-trained Las Vegas dentist Dr. Jorge Paez. He proudly helps patients from Summerlin, Spring Valley, and nearby areas of Nevada achieve their smile goals.