If you are missing one or more teeth, you’ve probably considered whether a dental bridge or a dental implant is better for you. While the only way to find out which treatment is best for your individual needs is to visit an experienced dentist, we’ve put together this blog comparing the two treatments to give you an idea of the pros and cons of both.
To schedule your dental consultation, call Dr. Jorge Paez today at 702-737-3553. He will be happy to examine your teeth and let you know whether you are a better candidate for a bridge or an implant.
Reasons to Choose A Dental Implant
In most cases, a dental implant will be considered the best option for replacing a missing tooth. Dental implants are the most advanced and longest-lasting treatment available, and they are the only type of missing tooth treatment that actually replaces the tooth root. Some of the benefits of dental implants include:
- Root replacement: Tooth roots play an important role in keeping your jaw bone healthy and intact. Missing tooth roots can lead to bone shrinkage and eventual collapse.
- Long-lasting: Dental implants can last a lifetime when cared for properly.
- Aesthetically pleasing: The crown placed on your implant can be precisely matched with your surrounding teeth for a natural look.
- Intact neighboring teeth: With a dental bridge, the teeth adjacent to the missing tooth need to be filed down so that crowns can be placed over them. With a dental implant, there is no need to disturb any of your natural surrounding teeth.
Dental implants do require minor surgery, but recovery is typically pretty easy. Although the upfront cost of implants is higher than that of a dental bridge, most patients find the cost to be worth it. Dr. Paez offers dental financing plans for patients who are concerned about cost.
When To Choose A Dental Bridge
Although dental implants are generally considered a better overall choice than bridges, there are times when you may want to choose a bridge instead. A dental bridge offers the following benefits to our Las Vegas patients:
- Typically less expensive than an implant
- Often covered by insurance
- Does not require surgery
- Although it cannot prevent bone loss, it can prevent neighboring teeth from becoming crooked and weakened
- Good choice for patients who are not candidates for an implant, such as heavy smokers
If you smoke or have gum disease, you may not be a good candidate for an implant and may opt for a bridge instead. If you are not a candidate for an implant but are interested in having one placed, talk to Dr. Paez to see if there is anything you can do to become a better candidate.
Another reason a bridge may be more attractive is because they are often covered at least partially by insurance, while implants are rarely covered at all. If cost is a major factor, however, you can talk to Dr. Paez about financing options. We want our patients to have access to the best care and treatments, so we will work with you to help you afford the treatment that is best for you in the long term.
Schedule Your Dental Consultation
If you are missing teeth and would like to find the best way to replace them, please don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Paez at 702-737-3553 today to schedule your consultation. We serve patients in Summerlin, Spring Valley, and nearby areas of greater Las Vegas.