Dental crowns are versatile restorations that can improve the look and function of your teeth. There are many different reasons why our dentist might recommend them to restore your smile. If you are dealing with any of the following problems, a dental crown might be a great solution:
- Large cavities: During a regular cavity filling treatment, our dentist will remove the decayed portion of the tooth before replacing it with a white composite material. However, some cavities are so large that this process could leave the tooth vulnerable to damage. A crown is a great alternative that will protect the tooth for years to come.
- Root canals: You may need a root canal if you have symptoms such as severe pain while chewing or lingering sensitivity to extreme temperatures. Root canals save teeth that are inflamed or infected inside. Dental crowns are often placed at the end of root canal procedures to preserve the natural tooth structure.
- Worn teeth: Tooth wear can make your teeth look short and cause other issues. It happens due to tooth-to-tooth contact such as bruxism, erosion caused by acidic foods and drinks, and abrasion resulting from habits like nail-biting and using gritty toothpaste. Crowns can restore the original shape and size of teeth impacted by severe wear.
- Cracked teeth: Injuries, pressure from teeth grinding, and age can cause teeth to crack. Cracks can appear in the enamel, extend into the gum line, split a tooth into segments, or fracture the cusp of a tooth. A crown can restore and protect your cracked tooth.
- Missing teeth: Crowns are often used to replace missing teeth. They can anchor a dental bridge or complete a dental implant. With both options, the crown will look and function much like a natural tooth.
Teeth work hard — and it shows. Many people eventually need to get a dental crown. Millions of crowns are placed every year to help patients regain the health and aesthetics of their smiles.
Get Personalized Treatment Recommendations
You don’t need to live with a damaged smile. If you think you might require a dental crown, call 702-737-3553 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jorge Paez.
He will evaluate your concerns and recommend the right treatment to get you back on track. Nevada Dental Esthetics serves Summerlin, Spring Valley, and nearby areas of Nevada.