A dental crown is a cap used to cover a tooth that has a healthy root but is no longer structurally sound. If you live in the Las Vegas area, Nevada Dental Esthetics can help if you suspect you need a dental crown.
Crowns are used when there is a crack in the surface of the tooth or too much tooth is missing for a regular filling. Crowns completely cover the visible area of a tooth, creating a brand new outer surface. For more information about tooth restoration, please call (702) 744-8007 today for a free consultation with Nevada Dental Esthetics.
Types of Dental Crowns
There are three common types of crowns that we use in our offices:
- All-Porcelain Crowns – This type of crown is the most popular, due to its natural appearance. An all porcelain crown has no metal at all, and blends in very well with your natural teeth. Porcelain crowns are durable, but as there is no metal, care must be taken so that they do not chip.
- Gold Crowns – If appearance is not a concern, such as with back molars, a gold crown may be used. These crowns are very durable and have a good surface for chewing, but do not look at all like natural teeth.
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal Crowns – Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns have a metal lining, which gives strength, and a porcelain exterior, which allows for a natural appearance. The one issue with this type of crown is that over time a black line may appear at the gum line. This happens when the gums recede and reveal the edge of the metal lining.
Dental Crown Procedure
Each type of crown is placed basically the same way and there are two visits needed.
- Dr. Paez will take an impression or mold of the affected tooth and send it to one of the best dental labs in the country where the crown will be custom-made for you.
- He will fit a temporary crown until the permanent crown is placed about two weeks later. You and Dr. Paez can discuss the color of the crown and the porcelain used to make it. It’s important for you to choose a qualified and experience cosmetic dentist who can match very closely the color of your crown to your surrounding teeth.
- Dr. Paez attaches the dental crown. He will first fit it with a non-permanent cement, to ensure that it is comfortable and the right color, size, and shape. If all is right, then permanent cement is applied, the crown placed on top and a special light used to cure, or harden, the cement.
If you live in the Las Vegas area and are looking at options to fix damaged teeth, please call (702) 744-8007 or email us today to schedule a free initial consultation to see if porcelain crowns are the right solution for you. Letting already damaged teeth go untreated can cause further destruction to the surrounding teeth and bone.
What's the Difference between Porcelain Crowns and Dental Bridges?
If you have missing teeth, you increase the risk of further disease and decay as well as shifting teeth. Las Vegas cosmetic dentist Dr. Jorge Paez can help you restore your teeth and smile with dental bridges.
At Nevada Dental Esthetics, we understand how missing teeth can affect your self-esteem and all aspects of your life. And we want to help. Dr. Paez will discuss your tooth replacement options during your free consultation.
Types of Dental Bridges
A dental bridge is a false tooth suspended between two other teeth via crowns. Bridges are permanent and are not removable like dentures.
There are several different types of dental bridges. Dr. Paez will discuss the following options during your initial consultation:
- Traditional Fixed Bridge – Held in place with crowns on either side of the false tooth.
- Resin Bonded Bridge – Typically used on the front teeth, which don't require the same biting power as other teeth. A resin bonded bridge, also known as a "Maryland bridge," does not require any damage to surrounding healthy teeth. The false tooth is held in place with a metal band affixed to the surrounding teeth with a resin.
- Cantilever Bridge – Used when the missing tooth has no neighboring tooth on one side. The false tooth is secured to two neighboring teeth on the other side, like a cantilevered balcony.
The Procedure for a Traditional Fixed Bridge
You will need only two visits to Dr. Paez’s office.
- Dr. Paez will prepare your adjacent teeth for the crowns by removing a small amount of enamel. He will take an impression, or mold, of your mouth to be sent to the dental lab that will custom create the bridge.
- For the two weeks or before your second visit, you will be fitted with a temporary bridge.
- Dr. Paez will fit the custom bridge into place, positioning the crowns over the two neighboring teeth and adjusting the fit as necessary. Then he will cement the bridge permanently in place.
If you live in the Las Vegas area and have one or more missing teeth, it’s important to see a dentist right away. Call (702) 744-8007 or email us today to schedule a free initial consultation to see if dental bridges are the right solution for you! Dr. Paez and his team serve patients in Summerlin, Spring Valley and other nearby areas.