If you have missing teeth, it’s not only embarrassing but it can affect your oral health as well. With missing teeth, eating and speaking may be difficult and your confidence may waver, leading you to hide your smile from the world. At Nevada Dental Esthetics in Las Vegas, we understand the importance of having all your teeth and provide permanent options, such as dental implants, to help improve your smile and overall dental health.
Whether you have missing teeth due to tooth decay, gum disease, or an injury, Dr. Paez and his staff work with you to address your specific condition and find a solution that works for you. At Nevada Dental Esthetics we provide exceptional patient care so that you can look and feel your best.
If you or a loved one has missing teeth and are interested in learning more about dental implants, contact us at (702) 744-8007 to schedule your free initial consultation. We happily provide services for those who live in the areas of Las Vegas, Summerlin, and Spring Valley, Nevada.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root which provides an anchor for an artificial tooth. While dentures and bridges are placed on top of the gums, a dental implant is actually surgically placed into the jawbone. This provides more structure and stability to the jaw, and prevents issues such as jaw collapse or weakened neighboring teeth. The implant is made of titanium, and will last a lifetime with proper care.
Once implanted into your jawbone, a crown, bridge, or implant-supported denture is attached to the abutment of the implant. Implants create a strong foundation for permanent replacement teeth and the artificial teeth that are affixed to the implants are custom-made to look like your natural teeth for a flawless appearance.
Advantages of Dental Implants
For many years, the traditional options for replacing missing teeth were with dental bridges or dentures. While these methods worked, dentures could easily slip while eating or speaking, causing discomfort and embarrassment.
Dental implants provide a permanent solution to those issues and have several advantages over other techniques, including:
- Greater security and durability
- Improved appearance, as the crowns attached to the implants look like your natural teeth
- Improved speech and eating
- Improved comfort, as the implant fuses with your jawbone
- Greater oral health, as the implant helps other teeth from shifting and prevents any bone resorption (shrinking)
- The crowns can be cleaned and cared for much like natural teeth
- Other teeth are not disturbed in the process of placing implants
- Greater durability. With proper care, they will last the rest of your life
- Greater self-esteem from having your smile back
The Dental Implant Procedure
During your initial consultation, Dr. Jorge Paez assesses your current oral health and determines the severity of your condition. If there are active infections or decay, those are addressed before starting the dental implant procedure. Under normal circumstances, dental implants can be placed and completed in three visits, with waiting periods in between each procedure. While each patient is unique and may require specific treatments, the implant procedure is generally as follows:
- Dr. Paez works closely with an oral surgeon who places the implant within the jawbone. The initial implant needs about four months, sometimes more, to fuse with the bone, a process known as osseointegration. This creates a strong foundation for the new tooth.
- After the implant and bone are well fused, Dr. Paez does a second, more minor surgery, to place a small abutment on the top of the implant. This projects above the gum tissue and holds the new crown. Healing after this step takes only two or three weeks.
- The new artificial tooth is permanently attached to the abutment on the implant. The final result is a strongly-supported tooth that is color-matched to the surrounding teeth.
The porcelain crowns or bridges on your dental implants will look and feel like your natural teeth, enabling you to eat all your favorite foods and speak freely without worrying about your teeth moving or falling out.
Candidates for Dental Implants
You may be a candidate for dental implants if you have missing teeth and are interested in a natural-looking, lifetime solution. But not everyone is a candidate for dental implants. During your oral evaluation, Dr. Paez will determine if dental implants are an effective treatment for you. You should also meet the following criteria:
- Be in good health
- Do not smoke (smoking inhibits healing)
- Have healthy gums
- Have a large enough jawbone
- Do not have diabetes
- Have no bleeding disorder
- Have a strong immune system
Contact Your Las Vegas Implant Dentist
If you have one or more missing teeth that you'd like to replace, call Nevada Dental Esthetics at (702) 744-8007 today to schedule a free initial consultation with Dr. Paez. In just a few short months, you can have a complete and bright smile again with dental implants. We are pleased to serve Las Vegas, Spring Valley, Summerlin, and nearby communities in Nevada.