Infection brought on by gum disease (periodontal disease) is a very serious problem and needs to be treated as soon as possible. If you live in the Las Vegas area and suspect that you have gum infection, call Nevada Dental Esthetics today at (702) 744-8007 to schedule an appointment and we’ll get you in quickly.
Any delay in treatment can be harmful to your recovery.
Causes of Gum Infection
Dental infections typically start with poor daily hygiene. Bacterial excretions form plaque, and neglected plaque turns to tartar.
Brushing and flossing cannot remove tartar. Without daily brushing and flossing, bacteria continue to build up, excreting more acid and toxins, creating tooth decay and more plaque, which turns to more tartar, which has sharp edges and causes bleeding when you do brush. The gums pull away from the teeth, creating more space for bacteria, and so it develops into a vicious cycle.
The following are the most common causes of gum disease:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Hormonal changes – making the gums more sensitive and prone to plaque
- Illnesses – illnesses that affect the immune system and diabetes make it harder for the body to heal itself. Even if you think you have a minor infection, you need to be seen, because a minor infection can turn serious quickly
- Medications – certain medications create dry mouth, which can cause cavities and other oral problems
- Smoking –retards the body’s ability to heal itself
Symptoms of Infected Gums
Sometimes the symptoms of a dental infection seem mild and you may think they will just go away. They will not.
Schedule an appointment if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Bleeding gums
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
- Pus between teeth and gums
- Chronic bad breath or bad taste
- Loosening teeth
- Changes in your bite
- Changes in the fit of partial dentures
Treatment for Infected Gum Tissue
After Dr. Paez determines that you do have a gum infection, he will prescribe the least invasive treatment available that he feels will treat your symptoms. Some of the treatment options include:
- Professional cleaning
- Scaling and root planing
- Laser treatment
The single best preventive strategy is good daily hygiene. If you faithfully brush and floss, even more than once a day, you are far less likely to suffer from infected gums. Gum disease does not happen overnight. It develops gradually, so if you notice any soreness or redness, or any bleeding when you brush, pay attention to those warning signs and contact us immediately. You already have early gum disease and more vigorous brushing will not help. Only a professional cleaning can remove tartar and its sharp edges.
If you suspect you have infected gums and live in the Las Vegas, NV area, feel free to call (702) 744-8007 or email us today to schedule your free initial consultation. In addition to cosmetic dentistry procedures, Dr. Paez also provides general dentistry services for your entire family.