We all experience the occasional headache, sore neck or shoulder pain. We can often dismiss these aches as the result of little more than stress or an uncomfortable night’s sleep. However, when pain becomes a chronic, daily occurrence or is accompanied by other symptoms, the problem could be related to TMJ/TMD.
The acronym TMJ refers to the temporomandibular joint, the joint that connects the jaw to the skull. A condition impacting this joint is called a temporomandibular joint disorder, or TMD. If you are among the approximately 35 million Americans suffering from TMJ pain and TMD, Dr. Jorge Paez can help you gain relief and live a happier, healthier life.
If you live in the Las Vegas, Summerlin or Spring Valley areas and would like to learn about your TMJ and TMD treatment options, please contact Nevada Dental Esthetics today online or at (702) 744-8007 to schedule an appointment.
Symptoms of TMJ Disorder
Many patients describe TMJ pain as a dull ache near the jaw joint and surrounding areas. Common symptoms of TMJ/TMD can include:
- Ear ringing
- Popping or clicking sound when opening or closing the mouth
- Locking jaw
- Limited jaw movement
- Chronic headaches
- Stiffness in the jaw muscles
- Ear pressure and pain
- Neck and shoulder pain
Causes of TMJ/TMD
There are several possible reasons for your jaw to become misaligned. Potential causes of TMJ/TMD include:
- Stress, which can result in the frequent clenching of your teeth
- Cartilage damage, often linked to arthritis
- Teeth grinding
- Injury to the jaw, temporomandibular joint, or neck and head muscles after a blow to the head
- Dislocation of the disc that cushions the ball and socket of the temporomandibular joint
TMJ and TMD Treatment
At Nevada Dental Esthetics, Dr. Paez offers TMJ treatment through the use of a custom nightguard. This convenient oral appliance fits comfortably into your mouth and protects your teeth form clenching and grinding.
Other basic TMD treatments include:
- Eating soft foods
- Discussing medication options with your dentist
- Avoiding extreme jaw movements
- Practicing good posture
- Keeping your teeth slightly apart as often as you can throughout the day
- Learning relaxation techniques to help control muscle tension in the jaw
Dr. Paez is committed to helping his patients find relief from TMJ/TMD pain. During your free consultation, he will examine the health and structure of your mouth and explain your dental options thoroughly. He will answer your questions, address your concerns and provide you with recommendations to help you get back on track.
If you live in Las Vegas, Summerlin or Spring Valley and would like to learn how Dr. Paez can help your TMJ/TMD pain, please call Nevada Dental Esthetics today at (702) 744-8007 to schedule an appointment.