At Nevada Dental Esthetics in Las Vegas, we find that many of our patients are concerned over the color of their teeth. Some have perfect smiles otherwise, but want their teeth to be whiter and brighter.
There are many factors in our daily lives that can affect the color of our teeth. Sometimes better oral hygiene or different hygiene products may be the answer, but for others the solution is more complex. Below are a few of the more common causes of tooth discoloration:
- Pigmented foods like blackberries and blueberries, and certain other foods like apples or potatoes (believe it or not)
- Coffee, black tea, cola drinks and red wines
- Tobacco use
- Medications – the use of tetracycline while teeth are developing; also use of some antihistamines
- Trauma – injury can cause a tooth to darken over time
- Poor hygiene
- Treatment for certain diseases – chemotherapy or radiation of the head and neck can cause discoloration
- Age – as we age, our bodies change; ne of the inevitable changes is the yellowing of our teeth
- Genetics – some people are genetically predisposed to have more pigment in their teeth than others
The good news is that most discoloration can be easily and successfully treated. If you have darkened or stained teeth and it causes you embarrassment, contact us today by calling 702-737-3553 for a free initial consultation, and we'll discuss what treatment options are appropriate for you.
Depending on the cause of your discoloration or the severity of it, Dr. Paez and his staff may offer one of several of the following treatments to help bring back your whitest smile:
- Proper oral hygiene – Sometimes the knowledge of the correct way to take care of your teeth and the proper products is all that is needed to whiten and brighten your smile.
- Avoidance of certain foods or drinks – If it’s determined that a certain food or drink causes excessive staining for you, it’s best to avoid that particular item.
- Take-home whitening products – these are fairly inexpensive and will whiten your teeth very effectively. They give you the ability to do the whitening yourself, in your own timeframe. They also place the responsibility for doing it fully on you, as the trays need to be worn consistently for at least a week or two, for excellent results.
- In-office whitening products – In-office whitening systems, like ZOOM! tooth whitening, are highly effective, fast and relatively inexpensive. You’ll have great results in about an hour.
- Bonding and veneers – If the staining or discoloration you have is beyond the surface of the tooth and very difficult to treat, Dr. Paez may recommend that you opt for dental resin bonding or place porcelain veneers over those teeth to obtain a bright, white smile.
If you live in the Las Vegas area and are interested in tooth whitening, please call 702-737-3553 or email us today for a free consultation. At Nevada Dental Esthetics, some of our happiest patients are those who have received teeth whitening treatment for discolored or stained teeth.